Kay Sibiya has fast-become one of the freshest faces in television today. He first gained prominence on the SABC 1 magazine show ‘Sunday Chillaz’ and today, fans welcome him into their home every evening as Ayanda Mdletshe on SABC 1’s telenovela ‘Uzalo’.
Kay has since become an icon in the local entertainment space and has built up a loyal audience who have been incredibly supportive of his journey so far. Now, we get a deeper glimpse into Kay as he shares these 10 fun facts:
1) Kay’s ideal weekend would be at home with his phone on flight mode so that he can’t receive any calls or texts, and watching series. “I’m a big fan of vegetating on my couch and watching series. I love it so much,” he says. “Whenever I get a chance to relax and binge, I’m at my happiest.”
2) Kay’s favourite food is African cuisine. “African food is so underrated,” Kay says. “I have travelled extensively in Africa and the food in Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria and Ethiopia is so great. I’m so much a fan of African food that I tried all these cuisines before I even visited the country and I really think we need to be shouting about this more.”
3) He is a big fan of the ocean. “I once shot a show and I stayed in Mauritius for four months where I went to the beach every single day. In fact, it’s one of the reasons I am so excited about taking part in the upcoming season of Tropika Island Of Treasure.”
4) Speaking of Tropika Island Of Treasure, Kay’s cool wit and competitive nature will work in his favour when he captains Team Peach when the series, which takes place on the Caribbean island of Curaçao, premieres on 7 March 2020 on SABC 3.
5) While Kay is often the life of the party, he considers himself a bit of a loner to some extent. “I often withdraw to my own little corner,” Kay admits. “Sometimes the attention gets a little bit too much for me so I make sure I take a step back and remind myself what is really important in life and not let the attention and the fame get inside my head.”
6) Tom Hardy is his favourite actor. “He’s the best actor who has ever lived. He’s highly underrated but he’s amazing,” Kay says. “The way he embodies characters is incredible. He is never the same as any character before and that’s always so great to watch. He’s the master of accents and dialects and he’s a shapeshifter as well. He never looks the same for any character and I love how dedicated he is to his work. He’s phenomenal.”
7) Kay loves being naked. “It’s liberating,” he says. “When I am at home in my personal space, you can often find me without any clothes on and I really enjoy the feeling.”
8) Content is very important to Kay who admits that he is a huge YouTube junkie. “I live off YouTube,” he says. “My latest obsession is battle rap. I love how creative people can be with wordplay and its essence really intrigues me. I also watch spoken word poetry, tutorials of just about everything, music videos, vlogs and almost everything I can get my hands on.”
9) Another reason Kay can’t wait to take part in Tropika Island Of Treasure is because he is obsessed with reality TV. “I love watching singing and talent competitions especially because I love seeing dreams come true and how people put themselves out there doing the thing they love the most,” Kay says. “It’s such a big stage and people don’t make excuses. They don’t choke or stumble; and they take advantage of the platform that has been given to them because they have been working their whole lives for that one moment.”
10) Kay says that the most terrifying moment of his life was when he became a father to his four-month-old son. “Being a father and trying to be the man that you want your son to be one day is terrifying,” Kay admits. “The gap from where you are to where you want to be and the person you want your child to emulate is so vast and I fear I may never be the person I need to be in order for my son to look up to me. It’s not something you recover from but something you work on every day.”
Image Courtesy: Supplied