Settle in with some popcorn to watch one or more of these movie gems, all available to stream now. From action to adventure, robots to singers, there’s something for everyone in our latest list of our favourite movies new to Showmax to stream right now.
Best new movies to stream on Showmax
Mission: Impossible – Fallout
The best intentions often come back to haunt you. After a mission gone wrong, Mission: Impossible – Fallout finds Ethan Hunt (three-time Oscar nominee Tom Cruise) and his IMF team (Oscar nominee Alec Baldwin, BAFTA nominee Simon Pegg, and Golden Globe winner Ving Rhames) in a race against time.
MTV Movie Awards winner Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) co-stars alongside the likes of Oscar nominee Angela Bassett (Black Panther), Emmy nominee Vanessa Kirby (The Crown), and returning favourites like Golden Globe nominees Rebecca Ferguson (Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation), and Michelle Monaghan (Mission: Impossible III). #1 US box office hit, grossing nearly $800m globally
- 97% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes
- Won the 2019 Critics Choice Award for Best Action Movie in 2019
- 2019 nominations at the BAFTA, Screen Actors Guild and Art Directors Guild awards
Charlie (Oscar nominee Hailee Steinfeld from True Grit in a Teen Choice nominated performance) is on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world. She discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken, in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns this is no ordinary yellow VW bug.
As Agent Burns, John Cena earned a Teen Choice nomination for Choice Action Movie Actor. Golden Globe nominee Pamela Adlon (Better Things, Californication) also stars. #2 US box office hit, grossing over $450m globally
- 92% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes
- 2019 Teen Choice nominee for Best Action Movie, Action Movie Actor (Cena) and Action Movie Actress (Steinfeld)
A Star is Born
Seasoned musician Jackson Maine (seven-time Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper) discovers struggling artist Ally (Lady Gaga) – and falls in love. She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer, until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally’s career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons.
Cooper’s directorial debut won music awards at the Oscars, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, after earning best film, best actor and best actress nominations – among others – at all three.
- #2 US box office hit, grossing over $430m globally
- 90% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes
- 2019 Oscar winner for Best Achievement in Music, with a further seven Oscar nominations Winner of 80 awards internationally
Brexit: The Uncivil War
Everyone knows who won. Not everyone knows how. Oscar nominee Benedict Cumberbatch (Patrick Melrose) stars as political strategist Dominic Cummings, who leads a popular but controversial campaign to convince British voters to leave the European Union. The Times (UK) called Brexit “rollickingly good entertainment, in a heart-sinking ‘oh, but this is still our real-life car crash’ kind of way.”
- 2019 Emmy nominee for Best TV Movie
- 2020 Critics Choice nominee for Best TV Movie
A bright young yeti (People’s Choice winner Channing Tatum from 21 Jump Street) finds something he thought didn’t exist – a human (nine-time Emmy winner James Corden from Trolls). News of this ‘smallfoot’ throws the simple yeti community into an uproar over what else might be out there in the big world beyond their snowy village.
Listen out for the likes of Zendaya (Euphoria), Oscar winner Common (Selma), Oscar nominee Danny DeVito (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Golden Globe winner Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin), People’s Choice nominee Yara Shahidi (Black-ish) and LeBron James (The Shop).
- #1 US box office hit, grossing over $200m globally
- Channing Tatum, Yara Shahidi and Zendaya were nominated for 2019 Kids’ Choice Awards for their voice work A 2019 Annie Awards and Visual Effects Society Awards nominee
When Pete (Oscar nominee Mark Wahlberg from The Departed) and Ellie (Golden Globe nominee Rose Byrne from Bridesmaids) decide to start a family, they stumble into the world of foster care adoption. They hope to take in one small child but when they meet three siblings, including a rebellious 15 year old girl (Isabela Moner from Dora and The Lost City of Gold), they find themselves speeding from zero to three kids overnight. Now Pete and Ellie must try to learn the ropes of instant parenthood in the hopes of becoming a family.
Inspired by real events from the life of writer/director Sean Anders, Instant Family also stars Oscar winner Octavia Spencer (The Help), triple Emmy winner Margo Martindale (The Good Fight) and Emmy nominee Tig Notaro (Transparent).
- A box office hit, grossing over $120m globally
- 82% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes
- 2019 Teen Choice nominee for Choice Comedy and Comedy Actor (Wahlberg)
Golden Globe winner Jason Bateman (Ozark) and Oscar nominee Rachel McAdams (Spotlight) star as Max and Annie, whose weekly couples game night gets kicked up a notch when Max’s charismatic brother, Brooks (Emmy winner Kyle Chandler from Friday Night Lights), arranges a murder mystery party, complete with fake thugs and faux federal agents. So when Brooks gets kidnapped, it’s all part of the game… right? As the six uber-competitive gamers set out to solve the case and win, they begin to discover that neither this ‘game’ nor Brooks are what they seem to be. Over the course of one chaotic night, the friends find themselves increasingly in over their heads as each twist leads to another unexpected turn. With no rules, no points, and no idea who all the players are, this could turn out to be the most fun they’ve ever had…or game over.
Look out for Golden Globe winner Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Golden Globe nominee Danny Huston (Wonder Woman), Emmy nominees Sharon Horgan (Catastrophe) and Jesse Plemons (Fargo), and Teen Choice nominee Lamorne Morris (New Girl).
- A box office hit, grossing nearly $120m globally
- 85% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes
- 2019 Critics Choice nominee for Best Comedy, best Actor (Bateman), & Best Actress (McAdams)
Four young men mistake their lives for a movie and attempt one of the most audacious heists in U.S. history.
Teen Choice winner Blake Jenner (Glee), Teen Choice nominee Evan Peters (X-Men: Apocalypse), BAFTA Rising Star nominee Barry Keoghan (The Killing Of A Sacred Deer), and Jared Abrahamson (Fear the Walking Dead) co-star.
- 89% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes
- Won the Heterodox Award at Cinema Eye 2019 and six other awards
- Nominated as Best Independent Film at the 2019 Spirit Awards
- Nominated as Best Independent Film at the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Movies’ 2019 Saturn Awards
Image Courtesy: Supplied
Zita Zimande is a sports news journalist from the University of Johannesburg. Besides being a sports fanatic, she loves to cook during her spare time.