How to restore WhatsApp chat history? WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app that allows you make video and voice calls, send text messages, and more. The WhatsApp also allow you to back up all your chats to Google Drive. In this article, you will learn how to restore your WhatsApp chats history.
How to Restore WhatsApp Chat
The first option is to restore WhatsApp chats from Google Drive. In order to use Google Drive backup, you need a Google account activated on your smartphone as well as Google Play services installed on your phone. You also need to use the same phone number and Google account used to create the backup.
Here’s how to restore WhatsApp chats from a Google Drive backup:
- Step 1: Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp
- Step 2: Open WhatsApp and verify your number
- Step 3: When prompted, tap “RESTORE” to restore your WhatsApp chats and media from Google Drive
- Step 4: After the restoration process is complete, tap “NEXT“. Your chats will be displayed once initialization is complete
- Step 5: WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files after your chats are restored
What the below video on how to restore WhatsApp chat history on Android
If you install WhatsApp without any prior backups from Google Drive, WhatsApp will automatically restore from your local backup file.
Another option is to backup your WhatsApp chats to a local and restore it from there. The local drive is your SD Card, computer or file explore. If you want to use a local backup, you’ll need to transfer the files to the new phone using these local backup drives.
Restoring WhatsApp chats from local drive only restores less data. Your phone will store up to the last seven days of local backup files.
According to WhatsApp, local backups only automatically create everyday at 2:00 AM and saved as a file in your phone. You will see “internal storage” or “main storage” folders if your WhatsApp data is not stored in the /sdcard/WhatsApp/ folder.
Here’s how to restore WhatsApp chats from a local backup:
- Step 1: Download a file manager app from Google Play
- Step 2: Open the App
- Step 3: Navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases on the app
- Step 4: Rename the backup file you want to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12
- Step 5: Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp
- Step 6: Tap “RESTORE” when prompted
Image Courtesy: indianexpress.com