Easy steps to renewing your South African driver’s licence: How to book online and how does drivers licence renewal works in South Africa.
All South African driving licence cards need to be renewed four weeks before it expires. If you fail to renew it four weeks prior or renew it after it has expired, you will be required to apply for a temporary driving licence. You will be charged an additional fee, while waiting for your new driving licence to be issued.
Please note that when you renew your driving licence, you won’t be required to take a driving test at the Driving Licence Testing Centre (DLTC). However, you will be required to take new fingerprints and undergo eye testing. If you don’t want to undergo eye testing at the DLTC, alternatively, your optometrist can have your eyes tested and submit the report at the Driving Licence Testing Centre.
Note that new conditions will be attached to your licence if it is discovered that your sight has worsened from the date on which your licence was issued.
How to apply for your drivers licence renewal
To renew your driver’s licence, you need to go to your nearest Licencing Traffic Department with the below documents:
- Your original Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, your old driving licence card or valid South African passport
- Four black-and-white ID photographs (some DLTC take their own photos using the new online system)
- Proof of residential address. It can be a utility bill in your name. If the bill is not in your name, the bill’s owner must go to the nearest police station and make an affidavit stating that the applicant lives at the address. The utility bill must accompany the affidavit
- For people staying at informal settlements, they must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor and confirm your residential address
- Application fee for new licence.
Drivers Licence Renewal in Gauteng
For all people staying in Gauteng, they can now apply or book for the licence renewal online at online.natis.gov.za. You will also be able to book for learner’s licence test, book for driving licence test, book for driving licence card renewal and PrDP application. The website also allow Gauteng residents to download the required application forms.
When you have completed filling in the application form and stated which type of ID documentation you will be providing, you can then proceed to book a day to perform the task of applying for your licence. You can then select a time to complete your appointment booking.
- Step 1: Visit the National Traffic Information System at online.natis.gov.za
- Step 2: Complete form DL1: Application for renewal of driving licence card
- Step 3: Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form
- Step 4: Undergo an eye test or submit report from an optometrist to the DLTC
How long does it take for new driving licence to be ready
New driving licence will be ready in four to six weeks
How much does it cost to renew a driver’s licence?
You can contact your nearest DLTC to find out about the drivers licence renewal fee.
Please note that Randburg, Krugersdorp and Sandton Centres do not accept cash payments. They only accept credit /debit card payments.
Image Courtesy: News365.co.za