In line with international trends and following on the success of Black Friday, the Takealot Group is once again leading the charge with a first-of-its-kind shopping event in South Africa. The Ultimate Checkout Sale is the Takealot Group’s beginnings of creating a South African version of an annual shopping event akin to those already established in the USA, China and India.
Kim Reid, Takealot Group CEO, says, “The year on year growth of Black Friday is an excellent indication of the appetite for big shopping events in SA. Internationally, annual events such as Amazon’s Prime Day, Alibaba’s Singles Day and Flipkart’s Big Billion Days highlight the demand for tailored shopping experiences in addition to great deals. What makes The Ultimate Checkout different is that it is built on shopper behaviour and we are hoping to establish this as an annual event.”
The Ultimate Checkout deals are based on analysis of behaviour and trends of over 1.7-million shoppers on Takealot (online general retail) and Superbalist (fashion and homeware). This shopper-centric approach focuses on the highest rated, most searched for, and most wish-listed products.
The Ultimate Checkout will kick off at 00:01 on 24 July and run as follows:
- 24 July – Day 1: Deals on highest rated products
- 25 July – Day 2: Deals on most searched for products + highest rated products
- 26 July – Day 3: Deals on most wish-listed products + most searched for products + highest rated products
Shoppers who purchase across both Takealot and Superbalist over The Ultimate Checkout period, 24-26 July, will stand a chance to win a grand prize of R20 000 in vouchers from Takealot (R10 000) and Superbalist (R10 000).
Here are some facts & figures related to The Ultimate Checkout shopper behaviour (July 2018 to June 2019):
- Over 80,000 products are added to wish lists every day
- Over 15 million searches received each month
- Top rated products on Takealot: Essence Make-up Mystery Box, Fitbit Flex 2, Dometic Fridge/Freezer Bundle, Russell Hobbs Pressure Cooker.
- Top rated products on Superbalist: Hugo Boss Fragrance, Levi’s 501 Original Jeans, Sixth Floor Vintage Rug, Superbalist Wide Leg Dungarees, Asics Curreo II Sneakers
- Most searched products on Takealot: DSTV Explora, Philips Wet/Dry Shaver, Huggies Gold, Montego Dog Food, Issey Miyake Pleats Please EDT
- Most searched products on Superbalist: Nike Air Force, Fossil Watches, Vans Old Skool, Sixth Floor Iron Round Mirror, G-Star Raw T-Shirts, Adidas Stan Smith,
- Top wish-listed items on Takealot: Seagate Portable Drive 1TB, Alva Gas Heater, Marvel’s Spider Man (PS4), The Alchemist, Nerf N-Strike Mega Doublebreach.
- Top wish-listed items on Superbalist: Cotton On Mini Dress, Missguided Square Neck Dress, Calvin Klein CK Truth Fragrance, Fujifilm Instax Mini
Image Courtesy: businessinsider.co.za
Zita Zimande is a sports news journalist from the University of Johannesburg. Besides being a sports fanatic, she loves to cook during her spare time.