The Search for SA’s best Shisanyama, in the Windhoek Shisanyama Search with Chef Benny, is hitting up as the eight finalists have now been revealed.
Over the past two months South Africans have nominated and then voted for their favourite local Shisanyama. Chef Benny Masekwameng has travelled across Mzansi sampling the offering at the top nominated venues and now it all comes down to the final event.
In the lead up to the main event, Chef Benny says, “It will be a close call with eight exceptional finalists in the running. I’m looking for the one that really showcases their unique signature style and the quality of their menu offering – what differentiates them from the competition? At the end of the day it’s the consumers at the event who will have the final say so the finalists will need to bring their best on the day.”
Windhoek Beer believes that the secret to a great experience is the combination of good food, great friends and 100% Pure Beer, to create that special vibe. This is why they launched the search for SA’s best Shisanyama and called on South Africans to add their voice to the search.
The eight finalists, who all display these essential ingredients and who will appear at the Windhoek Shisanyama Showdown on the 10 December in Soweto, include:
- Tshwane based, Centurion Shisa Nyama caters for people who enjoy a chilled environment and have a love for good music and delicious food. Their tasty menu includes a wide selection of meats on offer prepared with a secret ingredient that makes their food so special. They won’t give up their secret but are ready to bring out their secret weapon at the Windhoek Shisanyama Showdown event.
- Soweto is home to an abundance of established Shisanyama venues, however it’s down to Vaal Monateng Café and E’ Social Link Shisa Nyama & Car Washto demonstrate why they don’t need to claim a home ground advantage, their success is all down to their quality offering. Since opening its doors in 2010, Vaal Monateng Café has become one of the top venues for partygoers in Sebokeng. With an extensive food menu offering traditional Shisanyama fare, their most popular menu item, the short ribs and wors, are a dish not to be missed. They are confident they will be taking home the Windhoek Shisanyama Search title because of the authenticity of their offering, “We’re the perfect place to enjoy great music and excellent food in the company of friends. We’re happy to be competing against the best, and are confident we’ll be adding to our list of accolades after the Windhoek Shisanyama Showdown is over.” Not to be outdone, E’ Social Link Shisa Nyama & Car Wash is a fresh chill spot combining class and an addictive weekend social vibe. With a delicious traditional Shisanyama offering, it’s the ideal place to enjoy a chilled time with friends. They will be showcasing some of the best that Soweto has to offer at the main event.
- Two of Gauteng’s top establishments will also be competing. Meat Lounge Sunninghill adds a sophisticated twist to the traditional Shisanyama experience. Describing themselves as “a relaxed place where good people get together over good food and good music.”Their menu secret – meat is slow grilled to perfection combining simplicity with flavour and complimented by a variety of homemade sauces including their popular chakalakka, atcher or salsa. With a wide range of meats to choose from expertly combined with traditional sides such as pap, dumplings or samp there is something for all tastes.
- Celebrating its 20 year anniversary this year, Ivory Park based, Busy Corner Imbizo Shisanyama is a legendary spot for Shisanyama fans. The meaning of the name ‘Imbizo Shisanyama’ is a testament to the experience – it’s about family and friends getting together to enjoy a meal in traditional African style, sharing special occasions and time together in a stylish environment. A stand out menu item is their wors range: from plain to chilli as well as mutton wors, braaied to perfection over an open grill and seconded only by their short ribs. Their secret homemade chakalakka recipe is a definite must try and their generous range of meats and sides including African steamed bread, pap and creamed spinach, provides a feast for fans. They are confident that as pioneers of the commercial Shisanyama concept, they are well positioned as favourites to take the Windhoek Shisanyama Search title.
- Starting out in 2002 from a one room shack butchery and Shisanyama next to a taxi rank Max’s Lifestyle in Umlazi, KZN has grown over the years into a hugely popular venue ideal for good food enjoyed with great company.“At Max’s Lifestyle we’re not just selling food, it’s the whole unique Umlazi experience, that has helped make Max’s more of an institution than simply a venue.”Serving traditional Shisanyama dishes and sides, the secret is in the preparation. All dishes are prepared from scratch, which includes mixing their own wors recipe to ensure all ingredients are fresh and of the highest quality. “We will continue to strive to be the best”, is the ‘war cry’ from Max’s Lifestyle as they fly the KZN flag during the Windhoek Shisanyama Showdown event.
- Competing against their neighbours, Eyandini, located in the heart of Umlazi, describe their venue as ‘the whole package’ serving good food, with good entertainment in a great environment “at the heart of every fun time out with friends is good food and drinks and this is what we strive to offer”. Eyadini’s selection of exclusive local cuisine is carefully crafted in the signature Eyadini way. Offering a wide range of traditionally inspired dishes to more contemporary selections, the secret to their delicious Shisnyama dishes is in ensuring they use only the freshest best quality cuts of meat available. Eyandini’s final words before they join in the Windhoek Shisanyama Showdown, “bring it on – we’re here to show you our best.”
- Rands Lifestyle Space in Khayelitsha, Cape Town believes their ‘recipe’ of good people, good food and good music is what will make the difference to their offering. Rands is proud of its menu, with menu favourites including the creamy spinach, ribs, and Buffalo wings dipped in the Rands’ secret sauce as well as Rand’s secret pap recipe. Their challenge to the other finalists – “We’re the best in the Western Cape and want to be among the best in South Africa – we’re here to compete with the best.”
The main event will bring together these eight Shisanyama finalists in one venue. It will be an explosion of delicious Shisanyama tastes, complemented by ice cold Windhoek Beer and great entertainment including; Mo Flava, Black Motion Feat. Nokwazi, Soweto Samthing and more, creating an ultimate experience for fans.
The winning Shisanyama, voted for by consumers and moderated by judges, including Chef Benny, will walk away with bragging rights and prizes worth half a Million Rand.